Jalapeno Hummus Dip
SLIMMING WORLD VEGETARIAN
While it’s true that the food on Slimming World never leaves you feeling hungry, that does not for a second mean that the craving to snack and devour all our previous favourite treats vanishes overnight. So the challenge is on to chop, blend and mix our way to fat-free substitutes that satisfy those naughty desires without the threat of thunder-thighs.
A big favourite in our house was jalapeno hummus, something which is of course packed full of oil so the original is a bit of a no-no nowadays. So here we go with my first attempt at making a healthier version, let me know what you think!
1 x 400g chick peas
Sliced jalapenos in vinegar
4 x tsp lemon juice
1 x tsp mustard powder
1 x tsp paprika
4 x cloves garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Coarse ground black pepper
1. Open and drain chick peas. Put in blender.
2. Drain jalapeno slices and add to blender. The amount is purely personal taste and the slices do vary in size – I added 16 for a hot dip.
3. Peel and crush 4 x garlic cloves.
4. Add lemon juice, water, garlic and spices to blender.
5. Season with black pepper to taste.
6. Blend until smooth (ish).
7. Put in a small bowl and sprinkle with paprika.
8. Serve with fresh crudities and eat!
Nice and hot! It has a satisfyingly thick texture and you can personalise the heat to suit your tastes. I would definitely have it again and maybe experiment more with other possible flavours. Would be great served when entertaining!
No it’s not exactly like the store bought dips. It does get a bit dry if left out as it’s not packed full of oil too, so cover it up when you store it!